(4) Remove angle (104) by removing screws
(4) Disconnect the wire from the contact
(102) and washers (103).
c. Cleaning and Inspection (1) Inspect mechanical
(5) Remove 4 bolts that mount the motor and
components for cracks, dents, and damaged screw
fan assembly to the motor mounting plate. (The 4 bolts
are accessible from the bottom of the motor mounting
(2) Clean all components as required using
plate.) Lift off the motor and fan assembly with the gear
d. Assembly of Aft Compartment (1) Install slide
(49) and sill (48) with screws (46) and (47).
(1) Remove 2 screws (22) and remove
(2) Install light shield (45) with attaching parts
coupling (24) from drive shaft (21).
(38) through (44).
(2) Remove 3 screws (4) and lift off contact
(3) Install aft curbside partition (37) and aft
spring assembly (2), end shield (14), and O ring (9).
sliding door (36) with attaching parts (33) through (35).
(3) Slip off drip seal washer (20) and drip seal
(4) Install light shield (32) and aft roadside
partition (31) with attaching parts (1) through (30).
(4) Remove 3 screws (18) and remove
e. Assembly of Forward Compartment.
(1) Install angle (104) with screws (102) and
(5) Remove end shield (15) and drive shaft
(21) with worm gear (16), thrust washer (12), and thrust
(2) Install light shield (101) with attaching
parts (93) through (100).
(6) Slide thrust washer and bearing off the
(3) Install slide (92) and sill (91) with screws
(89) and (90).
c. Reassembly of Gear Head (fig.
(4) Install forward curbside partition (88),
Reassemble the gear head by reversing the disassembly
forward sliding door (87), light shield (86), and forward
procedure. The following must be accomplished during
roadside partition (85) with attaching parts (1) through
the reassembly procedure.
Clean all parts before
(1) Apply silicone grease to the inner surface
of each end shield before assembly. Be sure that wicks
3-24. Silver Recovery Unit Repair
are covered with the grease.
a. Removal of Motor and Fan Assembly.
(2) After setting the drive shaft, thrust washer,
(1) Remove the cathode by removing the set
thrust bearing, and worm gear in place, fill the worm gear
screw (25, fig. 3-13) that holds it to the coupler.
cavity with silicone grease.
(2) Remove the 4 screws and washers that
(3) Fill the gap between drip seal (19) and drip
mount the motor mounting plate to the power head cover
seal washer (20) with silicone grease. Press the drip
seal washer finger tight against the end shield and wipe
(3) Tag and disconnect the motor wires from
off the excess grease.
the terminal board.
(4) Apply an anti-size compound to the end of
the shaft and the inside of coupler (24) before assembly.
Change 2 3-25