REPAIR OF AIR CONDITIONER
12.1. Heating Element Assembly
The air conditioning unit at the forward end of the shelter incorporates six 1000 watt heating elements which produce a
maximum surface temperature of 1500 degrees F (815.5 degrees C). The elements are used to provide better climate
control under all operating conditions.
a. Inspection/Test. Inspect/test the air conditioner heating elements as follows:
(1) Remove the heating elements as directed in paragraph 12-1 b.
(2) Inspect each heating element for breakage or cracks in the outer covering.
(3) Check each element for an open circuit between the two terminals (resistance should read approximately 11
(4) Check each element for a short circuit between the heating element casing and terminal.
(5) If any of the above conditions exist, replace the heating element.
b. Removal. Remove the heating elements as follows:
(1) Remove the humidifier as described in paragraph 4-31.
(2) Loosen the quarter-turn spring fasteners which attach the evaporator section front cover and remove cover.
(3) Check that air conditioner circuit breaker is positioned to on and that air conditioner electrical power cable is
connected to wall receptacle.
(4) Position air conditioner control box rotary switch to HEAT.
(5) Using a suitable test meter, assure continuity across all terminals of terminal board TB6 located at left side of
terminal relay box.
(6) Position air conditioner circuit braker to off and turn heat switch to off.
(7) Check that the compressor suction and discharge valves are open.
(8) Close the receiver outlet valve by turning valve stem fully clockwise.
(9) Install a suction pressure gage on the compressor suction service valve (see fig. 12-1).