Support air conditioner sections
while installing bolts.
(7) Position inner sections on the inside front wall
and secure with mounting bolts.
(8) Install interconnecting liquid lines between
interior and exterior sections of the air conditioner.
(9) Install all covers to air conditioner sections.
(10) Install the hose duct which connects the air
intake grill to the evaporator section.
(11) Install the humidifier as described in
(12) Install the three MS electrical connectors on
the right side of the air conditioner evaporator section and
turn on electrical power to the air conditioner.
(13) Attach charging line to suction service valve
(14) Backseat the discharge service valve and
remove the cap from the port.
(15) Open the suction service valve so both port
and compressor are open.
(16) Open the valve on the refrigerant drum and
build 30 pounds pressure in system.
(17) Test for leaks using halide detector torch.
(18) Release pressure in system and replace cap
on discharge service valve port.
(19) Using an evacuator, pull a 20 to 25 inch
vacuum on the refrigerant system, attaching the vacuum
line to suction service valve port. Purge with gas from
freon drum and again pull vacuum.
(20) When 20 to 25 inch vacuum is reached,
backseat the suction service valve.
(21) Remove the evacuator vacuum line.
The R-12 drum for recharging
should be equipped with large
(22) Attach a charging line to a drum of R-12 (see
(23) Weigh the drum so that 13 pounds can be
measured into the system.
(24) Attach charging line to unit. Do not tighten.
(a) If charging line is attached to suction
service valve, be sure drum is upright so only gas will be
(b) If charging line is attached to charging
valve in condenser fan section, close valve at condenser
outlet, and invert drum so only liquid will be drawn off.
(25) Open R-12 drum valve slightly and then
close, to purge air from charging line. Tighten charging
line on service valve fitting.
(26) Open valve on R-12 drum about 2 turns.
(27) Open the system charging valve about 2
turns and allow pressure to equalize.
(28) Start unit and run until 13 pounds of R12 are
(29) Backseat suction service valve (or close
(30) Remove charging line from valve.
(31) Replace cap on valve.
11-2. Terminal Relay Box.
The terminal relay box (see fig. 11-5), located in the
evaporator section of the air conditioner, contains two
power relays and one magnetic contactor which are used
in the heating control circuit.