REPAIR OF AIR CONDITIONER
11-1. Heating Element Assembly.
The air conditioning unit at the forward end of the
shelter incorporates six 1000 watt heating elements which
produce a maximum surface temperature of 1500
degrees F (816 degrees C). The elements are used to
a. Inspection/Test. Inspect/test the air conditioner
heating elements as follows:
(1) Remove the heating elements as directed in
paragraph 11-1 (b).
(2) Inspect each heating element for breakage or
cracks in the outer covering.
(3) Check each element for an open circuit
between the two terminals (resistance should read
approximately 11 ohms).
(4) Check each element for a short circuit
between the heating element casing and terminal.
(5) If any of the above conditions exist, replace
the heating element.
b. Removal. Remove the heating elements as
(1) Remove the humidifier as described in
(2) Loosen the quarter-turn spring fasteners which
attach the evaporator section front cover and remove
(3) Check that air conditioner circuit breaker is
positioned to on and that air conditioner electrical power
cable is connected to wall receptacle.
(4) Position air conditioner control box rotary
switch to HEAT.
(5) Using a suitable test meter, assure that
continuity across all terminals of terminal board TB6
located at left side of terminal relay box.
(6) Position air conditioner circuit breaker to off
and turn heat switch to off.
(7) Check that the compressor suction and
discharge valves are open.
(8) Close the receiver outlet valve by turning
valve stem fully clockwise.
(9) Install a suction pressure gage on the