(4) Close humidifier line supply valve at bottom of
(5) Disconnect humidifier line and faucet lines
from base of tank.
(6) Unscrew immersion heater from tank.
(7) Remove screws that secure collar to tank at
filler cap on roof of shelter. Remove collar.
(8) Remove screws and washers that secure tank
to shelter ceiling and remove tank.
(1) Position tank in correct location on shelter
ceiling and install attaching screws and washers.
(2) Apply a suitable waterproofing cement to
shelter roof and tank fill pipe.
(3) Position filler collar over tank fill pipe and
install attaching screws.
(4) Connect humidifier line and faucet lines to
base of tank.
(5) Close faucet and draincock and open
humidifier line draincock.
(6) Install immersion heater into tank.
(7) Fill tank with approximately 10 gallons (37.8
liters) of water.
(8) Open humidifier line supply valve.
(9) Connect immersion heater power cord to
(10) Check plumbing for water leaks.
9-2. Immersion Heater.
A 2,000-watt immersion type water heater is built into the
water tank to furnish the heated water needed in
processing the printing plates. The water heater is
thermostatically controlled and maintains selected water
temperature of approximately 82 degrees F (28 degree
C). Power to the water heater is controlled by the
WATER HEATER circuit breaker in the electrical main
power service box.
a. Inspection. Inspect the water heater for corrosion
of controls and condition of electrical cord.
b. Removal. Remove the immersion heater as
(1) Disconnect immersion heater power cord from
(2) Open faucet to drain tank into sink.
(3) Open draincock.
(4) Using a suitable wrench, carefully loosen the
(5) Unscrew water heater and remove from water
(6) If necessary, temporarily cover hole from
which water heater was removed to prevent dirt from
c. Testing. Test the immersion heater as follows:
(1) Drain a small quantity of water from the tank
and then place a thermometer in the water as it flows
from the faucet. The thermometer should indicate
approximately 82 degrees F (28 degrees C).
(2) Remove cover from immersion heater and
rotate the thermostatic control from high to low and
observe audible sound of thermostat. (See fig. 9-2.)